The Hunterian has supplied 15,520 object records to the Finds Hub, including data from three sections of the Archaeology GLAHM: collection. The GLAHM:A collection is the University’s principal collection of Scottish and European archaeology; particularly strong geographical areas include Glasgow city and Renfrewshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Argyll, and the Inner and Outer Hebrides; the collection contains both material excavated by the University of Glasgow’s own Archaeology department, excavators from other institutions, and numerous public donations. The Hunterian GLAHM:B collection, of comparable size, is the very large private collection of Mr Andrew Henderson Bishop, which he donated to the University of Glasgow in 1914 and 1951; Bishop was both an enthusiastic amateur archaeologist, a lifelong friend of prominent early-20th century Scottish archaeologists J.G. Callander and W. McLellan Mann, and a dedicated private collector. Bishop’s donation was the largest gift that the Hunterian archaeology collection ever received, and it significantly enhanced the collection with material from Orkney, Shetland, Caithness and Ross, the Borders, Dumfries & Galloway, Aberdeenshire, and many other areas of the British Isles. The third Hunterian Archaeology collection included here, the GLAHM:F collection, contains the University’s material from Roman Scotland, and principally the Antonine Wall. Although some monumental stones are believed to have been in the University’s possession since the 17th century, the vast majority of the Antonine Wall was excavated throughout the 20th century; Hunterian and University of Glasgow archaeologists played a central role in these excavations, and that is reflected by the richness of these collections today.
The rest of the Hunterian non Scottish archaeology collection can be searched here: http://collections.gla.ac.uk