Canmore Site 30344: WESTER PITLOUR - STRATHMIGLO - CULTIVATION TERRACE(S) (PERIOD UNASSIGNED), FORT (PERIOD UNASSIGNED)
|Site Name||WESTER PITLOUR|
|Site Number||NO21SW 6|
|Broad Class||AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE, MONUMENT (BY FORM), DEFENCE, DOMESTIC|
|Site Type(s)||CULTIVATION TERRACE(S) (PERIOD UNASSIGNED), FORT (PERIOD UNASSIGNED)|
|NGR||NO 2038 1163|
|NGR accuracy||NGR given to the nearest 10m|
NO21SW 6 2038 1163. (NO 2038 1163) Fort (NR), (Name: NO 2039 1155) Terraces (NR) (Site of) OS 6"map, (1938) A fort, known locally as the Roman Camp, is situated 600 yards NW of Wester Pitlour. Its outline is difficult to trace owing to undergrowth, but is it some-what pear-shaped. The position is a commanding one, protected on three sides by a deep gully and only accessible from the NE. RCAHMS 1933. There were artificial terraces SW of the fort until c. 1803. These were ploughed out and burnt bones and ashes, covered with stones, were found. A ring of fine silver with a round knob on it resembling a diamond with a cross beside it and an inscription was also found (A Small 1823). In 1828, the road up to the fort, laid with stone, was discovered. The entrance was on the E side cut through the rock and the pavement inside was entire (Lieut-Col. Miller 1857). A small piece of bronze, apparently the river of some weapon found beneath the road, together with many human bones, at a depth of 4', were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1829 (Archaeol Scot 1831) A Small 1823; Archaeol Scot 1831; Lieut-Col. Miller 1857. The site of the fort is sub-oval in shape and measures about 100.0m by 70.0m. It occupies a naturally strong position. There is no trace of a rampart, terraces, or the alleged paved road, but the site is thickly overgrown and has been reafforested. Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J T T) 2 August 1965. (NO 2038 1163) Fort (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1974) An upper quern stone, found in 1825, along with an iron sword, when digging on the summit of Camp Hill, near Pitlour, is in the NMAS. (Acc No: BB 28) D Wilson 1863. No change. Visited by OS (J P) 22 June 1974.