These are the general terms and conditions for use of the Finds Hub website and for use of the information and services provided by Finds Hub.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using this site and before submitting a contribution to the site or accessing any Data or Linked Data from the site.
Who we are and how to contact us:
This site is provided by Exegesis on behalf of the University of Reading, company with charitable status, established by Royal Charter (RC000665), whose administrative offices are at Whiteknights House, Whiteknights, PO Box 217, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 6AH, United Kingdom. Reference to ‘us’, ‘our’ or ‘we’ in these terms refers to the University of Reading.
To contact us, please email email@example.com
About the Finds Hub project
The Finds Hub is a citizen science project that involves members of the public - you - in the processes of analysing and linking archaeological data about archaeological objects (finds) in Scotland and the places they were discovered (sites) (together the “Data”). This information is currently dispersed across multiple holdings, often making it difficult to access. By using the Finds Hub to link finds and their discovery sites (the “Linked Data”), we will be able to build new and richer stories about Scottish archaeology.
This document describes what will happen to your Contributions if you choose to contribute.
What you agree to if you contribute to the Finds Hub
This project seeks to involve the public in order to maximise the number of links that can be made between finds and sites. The internet provides a means of reaching a large audience willing to devote their free time to the project.
The aim of this project is for the Data and Linked Data to be available to the research team (including staff of the University of Reading, National Museum Scotland and Historic Environment Scotland) and members of the public to further archaeological research (the “Purpose”). Therefore, if you contribute to the Finds Hub (by submitting Data, creating Linked Data (together a ‘Contribution’)), you will need to grant to us a Licence to use your Contributions (see Licence below). This Licence allows you to retain ownership of any Contribution you make to the Finds Hub, and you may use distribute or modify your Contribution in any way you like.
In addition, anyone who uses the Data and Linked Data within the Finds Hub (which is not their Contribution) will need to agree to the Licence terms.
This licence does not apply to data about you, which is covered in the Privacy Notice.
- By submitting your Contribution to the Finds Hub, you agree to grant us an irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferrable and sub-licensable license to: use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, display, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your Contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your Contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your Contribution for the Purpose.
If you do not want to grant to us the rights set out above, you may not submit any Contributions to the Finds Hub.
- By accessing the Data and Linked Data, we grant to you an irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferrable and sub-licensable license to: use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, display, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to the Data and Linked Data worldwide and/or to incorporate the Data and Linked Data in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist the Data and Linked Data but limited to the Purpose. For the avoidance of doubt, this licence does not extend to commercially exploiting the Data and Linked Data in any way.
Warranties and Indemnities
By using Finds Hub, you:
- Warrant that your Contribution contains only data that you have the right to make available to us for all the purposes specified above, does not infringe or breach someone else’s rights, including their intellectual property rights, is not defamatory, fraudulent, discriminatory, misleading and does not infringe any law;
- Agree to indemnify and keep indemnified and hold us harmless from and against all actions, suits, claims, demands, losses charges, damages costs and expenses and other liabilities (including legal fees), that may be suffered or incurred by us as a result of your breach or alleged breach of the above warranty;
- Agree to indemnify and keep indemnified and hold us harmless from and against all actions, suits, claims, demands, losses charges, damages costs and expenses and other liabilities (including legal fees), that may be suffered or incurred by us as a result of your breach or alleged breach of the Licence granted to you in clause 4(b) above;
- Waive any moral rights in your Contribution for the Purpose specified above;
- Agree not to upload viruses or malicious code.
This licence does not apply to data about you, covered in the Privacy Notice.
Limits on liability
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to exclude or limit our liability where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death, personal injury, fraudulent misrepresentation caused by our negligence however, we shall not be liable to you for any liabilities, losses, damages, claims for account of profits, penalties, fines, costs and expenses of any nature incurred by you caused by our breach of these terms and conditions or as a result of our use, or any third party’s use of your Contribution and/or data associated with it.
The services provided by us on the Finds Hub website are provided ‘as is’. We make no representations or warranties to you of any kind, express or implied as to the operation of the services, accuracy of the information, content or materials included on the Finds Hub site.
Information on how we protect any personal data collected can be found at https://finds-hub.org/privacy.
Please ensure that you read the full notice to understand what information we hold, how we may use it, how we protect it and what your rights are.
Details are available from our website accessibility statement.
Rules for our accounts
You must be at least 18 years old
You must supply us with a valid email address and accurate personal data.
You are responsible for the security of your accounts and making sure that any contact details in the account are kept up to date.
Your account is personal to you and you must let us know of any unauthorised use of your account as soon as you are able to after becoming aware of it.
We may suspend or terminate your account at any time. Equally, you may close your account at any time. We reserve the right to delete or disable your account if, in our reasonable opinion, you have failed to comply with these terms and conditions.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales for any action, suit or proceeding relating to these terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions make up the entire agreement between you and us.
- If any part of these terms and conditions are found to be unenforceable, the remaining part will remain in full force and effect.
- These terms and conditions do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights.
- We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
- We may update and change our site from time to time. We may also suspend or withdraw our site or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of it.
- All our rights and obligations under these terms and conditions are freely assignable to another organisation.
Further information and requests
If you have any questions concerning your personal data and how we look after it then please see our Privacy Notice.
Further information from our Finds Hub partners
To find out about Historic Environment Scotland’s current position on use of information and images as presented on their existing website, please see their terms and conditions as set out on our ‘Legals’ page: https://canmore.org.uk/content/legals
To find out about Historic Environment Scotland’s current position on spatial data as made available through their download portal (http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/spatialdownloads); self-service extracts from Canmore and PastMap are released under the OGL: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/